A Dark Boggy Bayou

In a bog in northern Florida in the early but late evening, I was tramping through a soggy bayou with my two kids...the oldest was nine years old, the other six. I had both by the hand as we pushed through marsh of reeds next to a chilly water’s edge. Both lay just left of a huge pool of still black water. Both of the kids were quiet as the three of us toyed through the soft sounds of crickets and water toads. The soft slosh and gurgling stamps beneath our feet kept our chill of anxieties low in such a way that it allowed our concentration to focus on which way to go through the silent, southern back waters on a night that was filled with gnats, fevers, and snakes. Over the top of the water reeds could I see a faint light coming from a lighted house laying somewhere just ahead. A light that was still needing to shine out and over a simple black vastness as the evening’s night sounds and actions were beginning to fade off into the cool air.

I had no idea when we would reach the shallow light, or whatever it was I was heading for, but the kids pulled me along hurrying towards the direction I softly indicated to them. “Don’t drag your feet in the water, it will only make you fell more miserable.” My daughter added as she pulled past us and headed to the front of the queue, ” Just make your way through the small path I’m cutting though these tall grasses.” From behind I could feel my son’s hand tug my coat while he inquisitively reported, “I’m getting lost in here.” I  replied back quickly using the same tone as he had, “I have your hand, son.” As I slowly felt him slipping away from my soft grip.

Looking up from my constant shallow water stamping, I saw a break in the reeds. All my attention became focused on it as though it echoed around the reeds themselves and then again back to me as if I had said something aloud to the open way that lay ahead. As the girl pulled ahead holding on only to my finger tips, I felt her slipping away as her shadow moved into the opening that let the soft light filter through. Questioning both actions, I turned back and called out, ” Boy, where are you?” From a distance I heard, “Ugh, I got my foot caught in something here” and in the same alerted tone the repeat of  “I need help!” Turning back to my oldest, I took her hold of her thin fingers and pulled them lightly to say, “Girl, wait here. I need to go back for your brother.” Dramatically she screamed across the marshy reed pool, “NO!”  “Shh,” I retorted, ”You’ll wake the dead.” “I’m going with you.” She whimpered.

Back we went to find and fetch my youngest from whatever concern he had himself into. We arrived just as he was pulling his foot from a boggy hole. I looked down from his face to see a shoe covered with the mucky, muddy, bayou bottom grass slush. ”You just had to do it, any thing to get a foot into it, right? Come on, let’s go.” “I wanted to add some realism to it, Mom.” He added. Taking his hand again, we started back out towards the direction that the girl and I had just come back through. Tugging at my hand the boy asked at us “what would I do if that happened to you.” I turned to him, smiled and started to say, “The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need." Smiling, our hands joined together, we started a chain towards the small light we seen over top the tall grassy beds. Continuing with the words returning in an echo we versed the 23rd Psalm. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. The tired six year old darted for the grass way opening that my oldest had ma as our game came to an end. As she pulled herself away she stood alone for a few moments cupped in a small hallow of cat-o’-nine tails. ”Wait for us now, we’re in someone’s back yard” I spoke out to her. The pause of the small shadowy figure indicated that she heard what was said. Urgently, the last two in the family queue arrived and stood nest to her. She smiled as we heard the prevalent tones to the last few word of the verse we were reciting,Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.”Cornered by the the reed beds that were neatly sculptured in a condominium lawn we again took hold of each other hand. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever." "Amen, Amen, Amen”

Matthew 6: 9-13
Pray like this: Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us today the food we need, and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don't let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one. 

.... So that, if a man only abstains from doing evil in order to avoid punishment, Non pasces in cruce corvos, [Thou shalt not be hanged.], saith the Pagan; there, "thou hast thy reward." But even he will not allow such a harmless man as this to be so much as a good heathen. If, then, any man, from the same motive, viz., to avoid punishment, to avoid the loss of his friends, or his gain, or his reputation, should not only abstain from doing evil, but also do ever so much good; yea, and use all the means of grace; yet we could not with any propriety say, this man is even almost a Christian. If he has no better principle in his heart, he is only a hypocrite altogether.
- Dr. John Wesley

KAPB Outreach